Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Getting back to sewing - A block a day - Ready for the new year






















As most of you know, we bought a large fixer upper house, then shortly afterwards, I went back to work after 10 years of staying home. I spent a good bit of that time sewing quilts for babies and charities. I also kept a supply of lap quilts to give to families who had lost a loved one. I miss not sewing, and Kevin misses not having quilts to give to friends.


I still don't have a place to lay out quilts for backing, but I am determined to sew anyway.

My plan is to sew a block a day all year, and by the end of 2012, hopefully the house will be closer to finished, and I can devote more time to sewing. And I will have a large box of finished blocks ready to go.


One year, I cut and sewed blocks for months. Then I spent a whole month just piecing tops. I finished 54 tops, all lap size.


I don't plan on piecing 54 tops at the end of 2012, but a few would be nice.


These are string blocks. I got some of my info for these from Bonnie Hunter, and also some techniques from friends I sew with. I do perfer doing them on foundation, then just throwing the strings together.








No comments: